How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in West Virginia?
However, sexual harassment training in the workplace is highly recommendedby West Virginia Bureau of Risk Managemen for private employers, as workplace sexual harassment training can help an employer avoid costly lawsuits and reduce liability to the employer. The West Virginia Bureau of Risk Management created a model document that they encourage employers to use when creating sexual harassment policies and training. View the Sexual Harassment Policy Model. The model states that training should include how to address problems through either informal or formal procedures, and how to be sensitive to general differences and problems in the workplace.
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their chances of liability for sexual harassment claims.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources.
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following West Virginia hotels:
Hampton Inn Charleston
1 Inglewood Pl.
Charleston, WV, 25309
Hampton Inn Huntington
177 Kinetic Dr
Huntington, WV, 25701
Comfort Inn Parkersburg
401 37th St.
Parkersburg, WA, 26101