How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in Wyoming?
In 2019, of 36 workplace discrimination charges filed in Wyoming, 13.9% were in regards to sexual harassment claims. The 13 sexual harassment cases made up only 0.1% of sexual harassment charges in the US, but equated to 36.9% of sexual harassment charges in Wyoming. For more statistics on sexual harassment and discrimination claims in Wyoming.
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC, sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their liability for sexual harassment claims. This usually requires planning, policies, procedures and immediate action.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources.
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies and remedies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following Wyoming hotels:
Residence Inn Casper
4930 E. 2nd
Casper, WY, 82609
Candlewood Suites Cheyenne
2355 Tura Pkwy.
Cheyenne, WY, 82001
Hampton Inn Laramie
3715 E. Grand Ave.
Laramie, WY, 82070