How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in Texas?
Texas’ Employment Discrimination Laws require all state employers and employees to attend and complete sexual harassment training within 30 days of employment, and additional sexual harassment training every two years of continued employment. The Texas Labor Commission Commission requires any employee of the state who completes the training to sign a statement verifying the employees attendance to the training program and have it filed in their personnel file. See Tex. Lab. Code § 21.010.
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their chances of liability for sexual harassment claims.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources.
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following Texas hotels:
Sheraton Arlington Hotel
1500 Convention Center Dr
Arlington, TX, 76011
Hilton Austin Airport
9515 Hotel Dr.
Austin, TX, 78719
Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Marina
707 N. Shoreline Blvd
Corpus Christi, TX, 78401
Holiday Inn Express Dallas West
4321 Communications Dr.
Dallas, TX, 78259
Candlewood Suites El Paso North
4631 Cohen Ave
El Paso, TX, 79924
Hampton Inn Fort Worth
4799 SW Loop 820
Fort Worth, TX, 76132
Sheraton Suites Houston
2400 West Loop
Houston, TX, 77027
Comfort Suites Plano
2301 E. President George Bush Hwy
Plano, TX, 75074
Holiday Inn San Antonio
19280 Redland Rd
San Antonio, TX, 78259