How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in Rhode Island?
Employers are encouraged to provide sexual harassment training to all new employees within one year of beginning employment, as stated in Rhode Island’s Sexual Harassment, Education and Training Law.
Employers are encouraged to provide further sexual harassment training for supervisory or managerial employees within on year of the commencement of employment.
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their chances of liability for sexual harassment claims.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources.
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following Rhode Island hotels:
Omni Providence Hotel
1 West Exchange St
Providence, RI, 02903
Holiday Inn Express Warwick
901 Jefferson Blvd
Warwick, RI, 02886