How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in Oklahoma?
All state agencies and government employees who investigate discrimination claims are required to recieve training in the areas of equal opportunity, discrimination, sexual harassment, and the burdens of proof in such cases. See: Okla Stat., tit. 74, § 840.21(F.1); tit. 530, § 10-3-20
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their chances of liability for sexual harassment claims.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following Oklahoma hotels:
Hampton Inn Tulsa/Broken Arrow
2300 W. Albany St.
Broken Arrow, OK, 74012
Embassy Suites by Hilton Norman
2501 Conference Dr.
Norman, OK, 73069
The Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City
1 Park Ave
Oklahoma City, OK, 73102
Hyatt Regency Tulsa
100 E. 2nd St.
Tulsa, OK, 74103