How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in Ohio?
Ohio law strongly suggests that employers should take strong actions in preventing workplace sexual harassment. These steps would include proactively stressing the issue, training employees on what constitutes sexual harassment. Employees should also be trained on a complaint of grievance process, and strong penalties should be enforced for policy violators. The legislature also encourages employers to develop methods that sensitize employees to the subject of workplace harassment.
See: Chapter 4112-5 Discrimination.
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their chances of liability for sexual harassment claims.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following Ohio hotels:
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
1307 E. Market St
Akron, OH, 44305
Hampton Inn Cincinnati Eastgate
858 Eastgate North Dr
Cincinnati, OH, 45245
Holiday Inn Express
629 Euclid Ave
Cleveland, OH, 44114
Hilton Columbus Downtown
401 N. High St
Columbus, OH, 43215
Park Inn Toledo
101 N. Summit St.
Toledo, OH, 43604