How can sexual harassment training in the workplace protect my company from liability in Nevada?
State workers are required to take a certified sexual harassment training class within 6 months of being hired. They must take a refresher course once every two years of continued employment. For more information visit Nevada Equal Rights Commission.
The EEOC is the federal governing body that describes and enforces sexual harassment and discrimination laws. Read more at (EEOC Harassment). According to the EEOC sexual harassment and other forms of employment discrimination violate Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).
In 2018, the EEOC found that out of 896 workplace discrimination charges filed in Nevada, 34.5% were related to sexual harassment. These 309 cases constituted 1.3% of the total sexual harassment cases filed in the US in 2018. For more statistics on sexual harassment in Nevada visit EEOC Charge Statistics Web Page.
There are a number of steps the EEOC recommends that employers take to reduce their chances of liability for sexual harassment claims.
- Implementing a strong and well understood sexual harassment policy.
- Providing a robust sexual harassment training program for training employees and supervisors.
- Establishing an effective complaint and grievance process, within which the employees do not have to fear retaliation.
- An employer should act Immediately to investigate any complaint or grievance.
- The employer should take immediate steps such as disciplinary action to stop harassment.
- Employees should be encouraged to confront the harasser directly and inform them that the conduct is inappropriate as well as informing management and Human Resources
Sexual Harassment Training Tip: Prevention is the BEST tool.
By ensuring that employees understand and are well trained in workplace sexual harassment policies, employers can greatly reduce their chances of being liable for monetary damages in sexual harassment cases.
Our onsite Sexual Harassment training seminars are also available in the following Nevada hotels:
Comfort Inn & Suites Henderson
475 Marks St.
Henderson, NV, 89014
MGM Grand Hotel & Casino
3799 Las Vegas Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV, 89014
Silver Legacy Resort Casino
407 N. Virginia St.
Reno, NV, 89501